Lovely friends of mine have just welcomed their second child and their first born has coped really well with meeting her little brother.
This got me thinking about when H met E and the advice we received going into it. Their first meeting went really well… we couldn’t have hoped for anything better.
He walked in and we had huge cuddles and kisses… it was the first time I had been away from him and I hadn’t seen him for two nights. I had E wrapped on the bed and I was standing waiting for my little man to walk in. We had big cuddles and then I just let him go and explore. He went straight to the phone and then E squeaked… all of a sudden H looked and saw her and exclaimed… look Sis, it’s Sis and he was so interested so we had a look and they got to meet. he was fascinated with her facial features. After a minute he was done and we went on to check out the rest of the room and open some presents.
From then on he was and still is a wonderful brother. He is very patient and on the whole very loving and protective.
Here are my top 5 tips for introducing your older children to their new sibling…
1. Have a present from the baby for the older sibling/s
2. Don’t be holding the baby when your child/children walk into the room. Have your arms free for cuddles and kisses
3. Let them find the baby of their own accord
4. Allow the older child/ren pay as much or as little attention to the baby as they want. Don’t push the issue
5. Lots of cuddles and kisses and make yourself available as much as possible
Any tips to add to it? Would love to hear your meeting story…